This blog was originally published on July 6th, 2018. It has been updated with new information and links.
Learners Edge recently hosted our first blended learning course on Mindfulness. It was a fantastic experience for us as a Learners Edge team - we were inspired and enlightened by the abundance of wonderful conversation from our teacher students from around the country.
Our course instructor, Lance Raabe shared with us the value of creating a Teaching Mantra. A teaching mantra is a simple way for teachers to bring mindfulness to teaching. By committing to a short, consistent phrase, and sharing it with your students, this mindful act can help on days when the classroom feels a bit off-kilter. Lance's teaching mantra is: "Best Day of My Life...Until Tomorrow!"
Many of our course participants shared their Teaching Mantras and we wanted to pass along a little of their brilliance. Read on, perhaps one of these mantras will resonate with you!
- You can learn something new every day if you listen.
- Fair isn't everyone getting the same thing, fair is everyone getting what they need to be successful.
- Welcome to paradise.
- Be quotable.
- Peace begins with me!
- Be your best self!
- Be where your feet are.
- A day without learning is a day wasted.
- Do unto others as you would have others do unto you!
- With every mistake, we must surely be learning.
- C'est la vie
- Sit, feel your weight in your seat, feel your feet on the floor.
- Be present.
- Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
- Live your dream.
- Be kind and give compliments.
- Even miracles take a little time.
- Change the attitude to gratitude.
- Living the dream...one puffy cloud at a time.
- Relationships, service, quality, efficiency, reliability.
- Just keep swimming.
- You are all artists.
- Be observant of what's around you.
- We run things; things don't run we - Miley Cyrus
- I think I can!
- Be You!
- Be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud.
- Each student is capable of greatness.
- Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift.
- Carpe Diem!
What's your teaching mantra? Creating a mantra is a perfect way to bring mindfulness into your life and your classroom. If you're interested in other mindfulness resources, here are a few Learners Edge suggestions:
- Webinar: Mindfulness for Teachers
- Course 5018: Incorporating Mindfulness: Strategies to Encourage Student Focus and Awareness (2 credits)
- Course 5401: Mindsets and Mindfulness in the Classroom (Fast Track format)
- Course 898: Mindful Leadership in Schools
Learners Edge Offers 100+ Self-Paced, Online,
Graduate Credit Continuing Education Courses for Teachers