Don't forget to keep your 'teacher-spark' alive!
This blog post was originally published on the Learners Edge Chalk Blog on January 8, 2016, but the strategies were so well received that we freshened them up to share with you again!
It’s January…Christmas break is over, the days are shorter, the weather is colder and you are already counting down the days until summer vacation. Am I right? But what happens if, or rather, when you catch a case of the blues as a teacher? Teaching is arguably THE most rewarding and completely exhausting profession. It takes oodles of patience, passion, resilience, and commitment. By January we’re often feeling drained and struggle to find the energy to make it through to spring break, let alone summer! Don’t worry, we’ve got some tips to help you survive. Our team has compiled our 10 best strategies to help beat the mid-year blues and keep the spark alive in your teaching.
Here is a sampling of two of our ten strategies:
1. Change it Up- Break the Routine in Your Classroom
- Add more physical exercise and movement. Koosh balls can do wonders in invigorating a classroom.
- Add mini-courses into your already established curriculum. Take a subject the students are responding to positively and explore it thoroughly.
- Use technology and take your class on a virtual field trip, perhaps take a virtual visit to Easter Island or the South Pacific. If you can't be there in person, you and your class can still enjoy the beauty through technology.
2. Set Up a Challenge
A contest is just the kind of jump-start many students need by the midpoint of the school year. The dreary days of winter and rainy days of spring are traditionally a time when many students start to get bored and slack off on studying.
- Read Across America is a great celebration with plenty of instructions and information to get you started.
- Take advantage of fun or unusual national days of recognition. For example, Pi(e) day, National Name Yourself Day, Earth Day, etc. This National Day Calendar shares what each day recognizes and provides some background.
For our complete list of strategies, download How to Keep the Spark Alive in Your Teaching. You’re sure to find some ideas to breathe life into the school day, while keeping you energized throughout the winter.
Need more tips and tricks on keeping the spark alive in your teaching? Explore some of our amazing Teacher Wellness courses at Learners Edge:
- Course 5792: Refocus & Recharge: Strategies for Finding Balance in Teaching
- Course 5028: Strategies for Decreasing Teacher Burnout: A Resilience Revolution
- Course 5021: Wholehearted Teaching: Reigniting Your Passion for the Teaching Profession