Nebraska State Requirements

Renewal of an Initial, Standard and Professional Teaching License


Below is a summary of how Learners Edge may help in renewing of your Nebraska Teaching License. This summary should in no way release individuals from their responsibility of ensuring that the course they take meets their professional needs.  We hope it provides assistance in understanding how Learners Edge might help you in the salary advancement and relicensure process.

For complete official relicensure information, including forms, visit the Nebraska Department of Education.

Renewal of Initial, Standard and Professional License

  • The Application form and non-refundable application fee online at OR Print, complete, sign and date the Application form from the Supporting Forms link at and your payment by check or money order AND
  • You must have recent teaching experience or college credit hours for renewal of the teaching certificate. Nebraska teaching experience is verified on the NSSRS system so you do not need to report.
There are three options to meet this requirement: 
  • Submit the Verification of Experience Form indicating teaching for one (1) year within the immediate past five (5) years half time (50%) or more in a legally operated school system while holding or qualifying to hold a regular teaching certificate OR
  • Have completed six (6) graduate semester hours in education or your content area, within the immediate past five (5) years while holding or qualified to hold a teaching certificate that has not expired or has expired for less than five (5) years OR
  • If your teaching certificate has expired more than five (5) years, fifteen (15) specific graduate semester hours in education are required within the immediate past five (5) years. 
Explore Courses Today!

The hours must be recommended for issuance of the teaching certificate by the certification officer of your approved teacher education institution. 

Message from Learners Edge:

Please note, Learners Edge courses are approved and offered for graduate credit by our regionally accredited and state approved college/university partners. Continuing education graduate credit is intended to fulfill requirements for license renewal/lane change when the student has obtained proper prior approval.