Six (6) semester hours of college credit to include at least one (1) semester hour in teaching students with disabilities (SWD) must be earned during each renewal period to renew your certificate.
See information below on Acceptable College Credit Equivalencies for Renewal, Appropriate Topics for Renewal Credit, and retaining all subjects on your certificate.
(Below the College Credit Equivalencies are suggestions from Learners Edge)
- Teaching students with disabilities (SWD)
- Exceptional student education
- Content specific to the subject area(s)
- Methods or education strategies specific to the subject area(s)
- Methods of teaching reading and literacy skills acquisition
- Computer literacy, computer applications, or computer education
- ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
- Drug abuse, child abuse and neglect, or student dropout prevention
- Training related to the goals of the Florida K-20 System, such as: Content - English, economics, mathematics, science, social sciences, foreign languages, humanities, global economy, technology, ecology, first aid, health, or safety.
- See all of our Instructional Strategies Courses
- Classroom Strategies - Cooperative learning, problem-solving skills, critical-thinking skills, classroom management, child development, collaboration techniques for working with families, social services, child guidance and counseling, teaching reading, or educational assessments, etc.
- School Administration Accountability - Instructional design, leadership skills, school and community relations, school finance, school facilities, school law, or school organization
- Career and Adult Education Accountability - Adult learning, principles of adult or career and technical education, career and technical education for students with special needs, or career and technical guidance
Renewal requirements must be completed during the last validity period of the Professional Certificate and prior to expiration of the Professional Certificate. It is the responsibility of each applicant to obtain current information regarding renewal requirements from the employing school district or Bureau of Educator Certification.College level credits used for certificate renewal must be awarded by an accredited or approved institution:
Regional accrediting associations. The regional accrediting associations are as follows:
- The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- The Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
- The New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
- The North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
- The Northwest Association of Secondary and Higher Schools
- The Western Association of Colleges and Schools: University of the Pacific